Overclocking my i7-920

Discussion in 'Planet Tech' started by d0nk, Apr 22, 2017.

1. d0nk

d0nk Staff Member

My desktop is as follows:

• i7-920 (stock: 2.66ghz, currently: 3.0ghz)
    • Thermalright Venomous-X cooler w/ 1 fan
    • 24gb 1600mhz ddr3 (G.Skill)
    • Nvidia GTX 660 (bought it because it was hackintosh friendly)
    • Tons of harddrives
    • Gigabyte X58-UD3R motherboard (v1.0)
    • Dualboots Ubuntu 17.04 and macOS Sierra (hackintosh)

I'm hoping to push it to 3.4-3.8ghz on air. To do that I'll need a second cpu fan (really, I'll just get 2 new fans) and a good cleaning of my case (its been awhile, its super dusty).

Any recommendations for 2x 120mm cpu cooling fans? I'm not worried about noise, my computer is in my home office and won't disturb sleep. It does run 24/7 though.

I'll post some pics of the case cleanup and the new fans once I get them.

2. JC Denton

JC Denton Staff Member

Check out a closed-loop, liquid cooler from Asetek. Liquid cooling isn't as risky as it used to be.

Since you do compiles on your machine: prime stress test, frequently and hard, as you go along. You don't want any subtle instabilities creeping in as you ramp up.

3. d0nk

d0nk Staff Member

Liquid will definitely be something I do for a future build. For now I'd like to see what I can get on air with my current setup (besides new fans).

For stressing, yeah, it'll be well tested. I need max stability out of this thing.

4. JC Denton

JC Denton Staff Member

5. d0nk

d0nk Staff Member

Between a case cleaning, new thermal compound, and swapping out my cpu fan with 2 higher flow fans I was able to significantly drop idle temperatures.

Before: 50-52C
    After: 36-38C

Still running at 3.00ghz (stock: 2.66ghz). I'll start increasing the speed when I have time to bump it and test for stability.

6. JC Denton

JC Denton Staff Member

How's the OC going?

7. d0nk

d0nk Staff Member

I'm still running at my old speeds and voltages. I've been too busy to really tweak the settings lately. The lower temps are still holding, so I'll probably push the chip til its in the mid 40s idle/low-fan-speed.